Travel can be one of the most pleasurable activities in life. That is, as long as nothing goes wrong. And that’s where travel insurance comes into the picture. For a relatively small additional cost, you can add a travel insurance plan to your itinerary that will give you complete peace of mind on your trip. That’s why we’ve assembled this list of the seven best travel insurance of 2022.
Before we take a deeper dive into what each of the seven best travel insurance providers offer, scan the table below for the basics:
Our Picks for Best Travel Insurance
There are dozens of companies offering travel insurance, but these are our picks for the seven best travel insurance of 2022:
Best Travel Insurance – Company Reviews
For each company, we’ve included breakdowns of coverage options, cancellation policy, and cost.
Since cost varies considerably based on travel dates, destination, costs, and many other factors, we’ve made this determination based on a cost quote from each provider using the same criteria.
*To provide a fair cost breakdown between the different providers, we obtained quotes from each company based on the following criteria:
- Travel dates: June 19 to June 26
- Destination: Bahamas
- Country of residence: United States
- State of residence: California
- Citizenship: U.S.
- Number of travelers: 2 (premium reflects total cost for both travelers)
- Traveler ages: 40 and 35
- Trip cost amount: $7,000
- First deposit date: March 19
- Payments remaining: None (fully paid)
- Coverages selected: Trip cancellation, interruption, medical and medical evacuation
With the above cost criteria in mind, let’s move on to our list of the seven best travel insurance of 2022:
- Online travel insurance marketplace covering the entire industry
- Get quotes from multiple providers in minutes
- Offers full range of policy options and cancellation terms in the industry, including cancel for any reason
- 24/7 assistance
- None that we could identify
Coverage Options: Trip cancellation, delay, emergency medical, medical evacuation, trip cost protection, extension of coverage, baggage and personal items loss, missed connection, accidental death, rental car damage
Cancellation Policy: Trip cancellation, interruption, hurricane and weather, terrorism, financial default, layoff, medical or employment reasons, or cancel for any reason
Squaremouth got our choice for the best all-around travel insurance provider because of their search comparison engine that enables you to enter information, then receive quotes from every major provider in the country. The platform has provided travel insurance to more than 2.4 million customers, with more than $79 million in sales over the last 12 months alone.
The platform offers single-trip travel insurance, annual travel insurance policies, cruise insurance, group travel insurance, and even adventure and sports travel coverage.
- Coverage for single trips and annual travel policies
- Health insurance for international travelers for up to $5 million
- Coverage available for foreign residents traveling in the U.S
- Student travel insurance offered
- Offers cancel-for-any-reason coverage
- 24/7 multilingual customer service availability
- Not available in all states
Coverage Options: Trip cancellation, interruption, travel medical insurance, student travel, annual travel, visitor insurance coverage, group travel insurance
Cancellation Policy: Trip cancellation and interruption
Seven Corners has provided travel insurance for more than 25 years, and even covers foreign travelers. Medical coverage for foreigners and for U.S. residents traveling internationally is offered under their Liaison Travel Medical Insurance. It will cover eligible medical expenses, trip interruption, and baggage, as well as give you access to the company’s international network of medical providers.
They’ll also arrange emergency medical transportation and evacuation to the nearest medical facility that can provide adequate treatment.
- One of the lowest-cost providers in the industry
- 10-day free look to evaluate the plan, with a full refund if you cancel within that period
- Three different plans to match cost and coverage with your needs
- Medical and dental coverage amounts are at the low end of the industry scale
Coverage Options: Medical and dental, baggage, sporting equipment
Cancellation Policy: Trip cancellation and interruption
Generali General has been in the travel insurance business for 30 years and counting. Each plan they offer comes with a 10-day free look to give you a chance to evaluate the policy. If you decide it won’t work for you, you’ll receive a full refund.
Generali General offers three different plans, Premium, Preferred, and Standard. While the Standard plan is best for travel within the U.S., Preferred is designed for international and sports-related travel, while Premium is for more costly trips. Coverage options and amounts are listed in the screenshot below:
4. Best for Quick Claim Payments: Berkshire Hathaway
- Enjoys the financial strength and reputation of Berkshire Hathaway, especially with its well-established insurance companies
- Offers three different plans to fit your budget and needs
- Upper end of the industry range on Medical Evacuation benefits
- 24/7 Worldwide Travel Assistance
- One of the lower-cost providers in the industry
- Medical expense coverage is limited to not more than $50,000
Coverage Options: Medical expenses and evacuation, missed connections, luggage, baggage delays, accidental death
Cancellation Policy: Trip cancellation, interruption, and delays
Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection is part of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway group, which is known for insurance (think Geico), among other things. Travel Protection is underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company, which enjoys an A++ (Superior) rating from A. M. Best, the insurance industry rating service.
Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection offers three different plans, Exactcare Value, Exactcare and Exactcare Extra, to help you choose coverage that will meet your needs cost-effectively. Coverages under each plan are as follows:
Also be aware that each plan comes with 24/7 Worldwide Travel Insurance Assistance.
5. Best for Travel Assistance: AXA Travel Insurance
- One of the most widely used travel insurance providers in the industry
- 24/7 global travel assistance services
- Part of one of the largest insurance companies in the world
- Three different plans to accommodate your budget and needs
- No medical evacuation coverage indicated
Coverage Options: Accident and sickness medical expenses
Cancellation Policy: Trip cancellation, interruption and delay, baggage delay, cancel for any reason (at to 75%)
AXA Travel Insurance tops the list of providers in the category of travel assistance. They do this by offering plans in conjunction with travel assistance services. The setup is designed to not only compensate you for covered losses, but also to provide support during and after your loss.
AXA Travel Insurance offers three different plans, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Each of the three plans provides trip cancellation protection up to 100% of the trip cost. Accident and sickness medical expenses are covered for up to $25,000 on the Silver plan, but up to $100,000 with Gold and up to $250,000 for the Platinum plan. (No deductibles apply to the accident and sickness plan.)
6. Best for Medical Coverage: Travelex
- Offers primary coverage for medical claims, eliminating the need to first file a claim with your primary health insurance carrier
- Medical expense coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Pet insurance coverage under the Travel America plan
- 24-hour travel, medical, and concierge assistance
- Trip cancellation on the Travel America plan is no more than $1,125 for each member of your travel party
- Cancel-for-any-reason coverage is only available with the Travel Select plan and covers only up to 50% of the trip cost
Coverage Options: Emergency medical and dental, pet medical, medical evacuation and repatriation, accidental death, baggage, and personal effects
Cancellation Policy: Trip cancellation and interruption, missed connection, cancel for any reason
We especially like Travelex for their medical coverage, or what they refer to as “Primary Coverage.” That’s a feature enabling you to file directly with the insurer for any covered medical claim. That eliminates the much more common practice of requiring you to first file with your primary health insurance carrier. Or put another way, you only need to file a claim with one insurance provider, not two. And unlike traditional health insurance, Primary Coverage also comes with no deductible.
Travelex also offers medical coverage for pre-existing conditions. There are some requirements, including that you must be medically able to travel at the time the travel policy is purchased. They even offer pet medical expense coverage of up to $1,000 (available under the Travel America plan only).
Travelex offers three different plans, Select, Basic and Travel America:
Get a Free Quote
7. Best for Diversified Financial Services: Nationwide
- Best for diversified financial services, in addition to travel insurance
- Most plans offer pre-existing medical condition waiver
- Generous benefit amounts for most covered losses
- Rental car collision/loss coverage available in most plans
- Pre-existing medical condition waiver not available on annual trip insurance plans
Coverage Options: Emergency accident and sickness medical, accidental death and dismemberment, pre-existing condition waiver, baggage and personal effects, medical evacuation
Cancellation Policy: Trip cancellation and interruption, missed connection/trip delay, itinerary changes, cancel for any reason
As one of the largest insurance companies in America, Nationwide offers a lot more than travel insurance. They offer most other insurance policy types, as well as investing in retirement, banking and borrowing, and life events and planning. They even offer business financial services, like employee benefits and plans. If you already have insurance coverage through Nationwide, purchasing your travel insurance with the same company will be a natural step.
Nationwide has travel insurance policies for cruise plans, single trip plans and multi-trip (or annual) plans. Each plan type also has two or three plan levels. Most plan types are available with a pre-existing medical condition waiver (exception: annual trip insurance plans).
Travel Insurance Guide
What does travel insurance cover?
Typical provisions of a travel insurance policy include the following:
- Trip cancellation. This provision will reimburse you for non-refundable trip purchases, like airline tickets. It typically covers a certain percentage up to a specific dollar amount.
- Trip interruption/delay. Similar to trip cancellation, except that it relates specifically to interruptions or delays. Also covers a certain percentage up to a specific dollar amount of loss.
- Emergency medical coverage. Covers medical emergencies that occur when you’re on your trip. It covers up to a fixed dollar amount and often requires you to first seek reimbursement from your primary health insurance provider.
- Medical evacuation. Pays up to a fixed dollar amount if you need to be transported to the nearest qualified health-care center, or even back to the U.S. Pays up to a fixed dollar amount.
- Repatriation. In the unfortunate event of your death, your remains can be transported back to the U.S. Pays up to a fixed dollar amount.
- Extension of coverage. Allows you to extend coverage beyond your scheduled return date if you’re unable to return home for any reason that’s beyond your control.
- Baggage and personal items loss. Reimburses you for the loss of your baggage or other personal items, including sporting equipment. Also pays up to a fixed dollar amount.
- Missed connection. Provides reimbursement of the additional cost for you to catch up to your trip if you miss your departure for a covered reason. Will pay up to a fixed dollar amount per event.
- Accidental death. Pays a fixed dollar amount if you die on your trip as a result of an accident. It typically applies to air travel events.
- Rental car damage. Provides the collision damage waiver if you are renting a car in your trip destination. This is becoming an increasingly important benefit because most credit cards no longer offer it. Rental car damage covers a portion of the vehicle rental that’s not covered by your primary auto insurance carrier.
The above is only a general list. Exactly which types of coverage options you’ll receive will depend on the travel insurance provider, the specific plan you select, and the plan level. Be aware that the coverage options will vary at each stage of the process.
How much does travel insurance cost?
We’ve provided the cost range of a standard policy for all seven travel insurance providers on this list, ranging from $168 to $410 for two people traveling together. But that range is no better than an in-the-ballpark estimate based on a very specific trip profile.
What that range does highlight, however, is that there is a wide range of costs when it comes to similar plans. Be sure to shop between multiple companies using identical trip criteria. And though it can be complicated, it’s also important to factor in the maximum dollar amount of benefit paid, along with any percentage limitation applied to each.
Many travel insurance companies advertise very low-cost plans, starting as low as $59 per person. However, those are stripped-down plans with minimal coverage. The only way to know which company offers the most cost-effective travel insurance plan is to get quotes from each.
It’s a matter of comparing apples to apples. It doesn’t matter which company advertises the lowest premium for a very minimal plan, but rather what the cost will be for the coverage level you need.
One way to lower the cost of your next trip is to take advantage of one of the best travel rewards credit cards. The right card can save you hundreds of dollars on your next trip.
To get the best travel rewards card you’ll need excellent credit. If you have poor or fair credit you may need help from the best credit repair services to bring your credit score up to where it needs to be.
Travel and COVID
COVID-19 has ushered in a whole new era in travel, specifically as it relates to travel risks. As a global pandemic, it affects the entire planet, which means travel to just about any destination. But now that the pandemic has been around for more than two years, and vaccinations have become widespread, COVID-specific requirements have become more standardized from one country to another.
Be sure to check specific COVID travel requirements for the state or country you plan to travel to. The information is typically available on the Internet.
As of June 2022, COVID travel restrictions in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), are as follows:
- Everyone aged two years or older should wear a well-fitting mask or respirator in indoor areas of public transportation and in transportation hubs.
- For air travel, you’ll need a negative viral test no more than one day before your flight.
- You’ll need to provide acceptable proof of vaccination, as well as to complete and sign an attestation.
The CDC rules for travel are constantly changing and should be reviewed prior to any trip. For international travel, be sure to consult the Internet for specific requirements in the destination country.
How We Found the Best Travel Insurance
We used the following criteria to determine the best travel insurance providers of 2022:
Coverage options: This includes not only the number of options offered, but also the dollar and percentage limits, and any potential “gotcha” provisions.
Cancellation policy: Cancellation is often the primary reason for choosing a travel insurance policy at all. We favored the companies that offer coverage for the most cancellation events, and with the greatest level of reimbursement.
Cost: Since travel is already on the expensive side, the last thing anyone needs is to pay a big fat premium for adding travel insurance to the mix. We included companies that offer competitive premium levels for the most comprehensive coverage possible.
In addition to the three criteria above, we also considered the popularity of the company as a provider in the travel insurance space, as well as ratings by independent ratings agencies.
But be sure to do your own due diligence before settling on a provider. The best travel insurance provider will be the one that provides the best plan for you.
Need more income to allow you to travel more in the future? Check out the best passive income ideas that will provide you with extra income without tying up your time and making more money.
Best Travel Insurance FAQs
Is travel insurance worth it?
Even if you believe the risks are minimal, having a good travel insurance policy will allow you to enjoy your trip without concern for potential disasters.
What does my travel insurance cover?
Travel insurance also covers personal hazards, like medical emergencies, and even death. The real purpose of travel insurance is to give you peace of mind while traveling, despite the risks involved.
What are the costs associated with travel insurance?
Once you pay your plan premium, the only costs you incur will be any applicable deductibles, uncovered hazards, or the cost of an event that exceeds the level of coverage for that situation.
What is not covered by my travel insurance?
It’s also important to remember dollar limits. If a trip cancellation provision will cover you for up to $2,000 in loss, but the actual loss is $3,000, you’ll be responsible for payment of the difference.
Summary of the Best Travel Insurance
Once again, below is our list of the seven best travel insurance in 2022:
Travel insurance is rarely required, but it’s almost always well worth having. While we normally associate fun with travel, there are risks involved as well, especially in regard to international travel. Having a good travel insurance plan in place will be a small price to pay for the peace of mind it will provide.